Tuesday, September 05, 2006

DAY 2 - It's Hard to Draw a Hand

Day 2 of 50 - Writing the Draft of my PhD

Well, I haven’t finished all my reading today (5 pages short) and it feels like I have not done a lot else. I need to do my first visually displayed episode of the use of gesture by a teacher in explaining graphs. This has involved me having to draw a number of hands in different positions (mostly done previous to this 50 day effort). The way I did this was to copy the position of the hand adopted by the teacher with my own hand and then take a digital photograph of this position. I then imported the image into Paint Shop Pro (ver. 7). I then zoomed it to a largish size and using the paintbrush tool drew an outline of the hand…this was set as a new layer on top of the hand. I then copied this layer and reduced it in size to give a hand. This was quite a difficult process since it is fairly hard to trace a line with the mouse. I have so far drawn about 20+ different hand shapes. I will incorporate these shapes into the story of how the teacher explains the relationship between a time-distance graph that he has drawn on the board and the graph produced as a result of students attempting to emulate the graph with their own movement in front of a motion detector.





A word file containing the images of the hands may be obtained from the link below. The next step will be to tell the story as a kind of comic strip illustrating the hand movements and the teacher’s dialogue.

http://kn.open.ac.uk/public/document.cfm?documentid=8672

No comments: